Sunday 21 November 2010

Design of DVD Cover part 2

The spine of a DVD cover is a small amount of space and it is usually the first thing people will see when picking it up, So it is best to be used for important facts about the content. For mine I used the three most important things:
  • The platform of the game
  • The title of the game
  • The age rating of the game also known as 'PEGI'
The platform of Halo Reach is Xbox 360 so I started by adding the Xbox 360 logo at the top of the spine.


I found this image online and I used the Magnetic Lasso Tool to transfer the image into my project.
As the logo came from an image that had a white background it was very bright, Now that I had put it onto a black background it was far too bright for my project. To counter act this problem I lowered the opacity by 11% this meant that the logo was just dark enough to fit with the black background but not so dark that it looked washed out.


The PEGI age rating logo also started off with a white background, But the only visible background was between the age and the website:


The easiest option was to fill the white background with the same black colour as the background of my project. Using the Eye Dropper Tool I selected the colour of the background and applied it to the image using the Paint Bucket Tool.



Now the image was the same colour it was as simple as importing it into my project and placing it in the correct place.


I wanted to use exactly the same colour and font as the title on the front of the cover so I used the Magic Wand Tool to select the word 'Reach' from the same image I used for the title. As it was going onto the spine of the cover it needed to be rotated and resized to fit on. Under Edit/Transform there is a Rotate option, This adds points around the image and gives me the ability to change the angle of the image.



Under the same Transform menu there is a 'Scale' option this gave me the ability to re size the image and place it in the correct place.

This gave me my finished Spine:

No comments:

Post a Comment